Marvin Sapp told TV station he filed protection order against Teleka Patrick months before her disappearance.

DETROIT — Teleka Patrick, a missing medical resident, was stalking gospel singer Marvin Sapp prior to her disappearance, according to an area news station.

Grand Rapids, Mich.-based WOOD-TV reported late Thursday that Sapp filed for a personal protection order in Kent County in September. In the court filing, Sapp stated that Patrick, 30, had been referring to him as her husband and had moved from California to western Michigan to join his church, the Lighthouse Full Light Center Church in Grand Rapids.

STORY: Michigan doctor’s disappearance stumps investigators

Her family had previously stated that she decided to attend Kalamazoo’s Western Michigan University for its residential psychiatry program.

Sapp said Patrick had contacted his three children and had been to his home, and that he had “over 400 page(s) of correspondence from her to which I have never responded.” He added that Patrick’s stalking had gone on for at least a year prior to her moving to Michigan.

“Throughout my career, my family and I have fallen victim to inappropriate attempts to contact me by several unknown individuals,” Sapp said in a statement to the TV station Thursday. “As a father of three and pastor of one of the largest congregations in west Michigan, I cannot take this kind of obsessive attention lightly. Given these previous acts, I have taken several security measures, which have included obtaining a protective order to ensure our safety.”

Sapp could not be reached for comment.

Patrick was last seen Dec. 5 in the parking lot of Borgess Medical Center in Kalamazoo by a shuttle driver with the Radisson Hotel. Her car was found later that evening, nearly 100 miles away in a ditch off I-94 near Porter, Ind.

In a statement Thursday, Patrick’s family said they had been advised by the Kalamazoo Sheriff’s Department that information regarding the protection order could impede investigations.

“We’ve been asked not to speculate or comment about it. We encourage anyone to contact the Kalamazoo department,” said Kimberly Eddings, Patrick’s cousin. “It was mentioned so that there was no misunderstanding that the family was trying to hide anything. We don’t want Teleka to become one of the forgotten. People go missing every day; there are all sorts of crimes being committed.”

Patrick’s former husband, Ismael Calderon, also told the Grand Rapids TV station Wednesday that it was possible she had a serious mental condition and could be in danger.

“(Patrick) started to have delusions, paranoia; she started to hear voices,” Calderon said. “Maybe the voices that she heard wasn’t God. Maybe the voices she heard pointed to a serious condition.”

Calderon could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Calderon was married to Patrick from 2006 to 2011, and after their marriage ended, the two did not stay in contact but were not on bad terms, private investigator Carl Clatterbuck said.

Calderon has not been questioned by Indiana State Police or the Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Office, according to police.

¦ Related: Mysterious disappearance of Michigan doctor Teleka Patrick stumps investigators

Patrick’s sister, 27-year-old social worker Tenesha Patrick, said she was unaware of any mental diagnoses Teleka may have had but appreciated Calderon coming forward. She has been following the case from her home in Cambridge, Mass.

Tenesha Patrick was disappointed to hear that investigators had not interviewed Calderon.

“I know that his name was given to detectives. … He wasn’t interviewed, and that’s definitely unfortunate,” Tenesha Patrick said. “He felt he needed to bring his perspective to the story. We’re definitely thankful that he shared this perspective and vocalized that.”

Tenesha Patrick added that Calderon had never voiced concern about Teleka Patrick’s mental state throughout the marriage.

Kalamazoo and Indiana State Police said that they are still investigating but have no updates on the case.